Olympics Winter Games Playlist
This February all eyes will be on Sochi, Russia as the very best athletes in the world compete in the XXII Olympic Winter Games. Utilize these SAFARI Montage Olympic-themed resources and pave a way to gold medal lessons in your classroom!
- Olympic Oval (Defined Learning) - Daily Planet, Discovery Channel Canada's flagship science program, features daily news, discussion and commentary on the scientific aspects of current events. In this episode of Daily Planet, take a behind-the-scenes look at the construction of the enormous Olympic Speedskating Oval in Vancouver.
- Ski Tunnel (Defined Learning) – In this episode of Daily Planet, students will visit a ski tunnel located in Vuokatti, Finland, which allows winter Olympic hopefuls to train when outdoor conditions are not favorable and researchers to study athletes' techniques under controlled conditions.
- The Real Olympics (PBS) – Chronicles the history of the ancient and modern Olympic Games. Narrated by Brian Greene, the program examines the games' origins and ideals, and presents stories of athletes and various games. Featuring reconstructions of the ancient Greek Games and dramatic highlights from modern games, the program explores similarities and differences between the two sporting events.
- Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany – 1936 (The Video Encyclopedia of the 20th Century) - Primary source footage of the 1936 Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany including Chancellor Adolf Hitler presiding over the opening ceremonies and the hockey and skiing events.
- Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, California (Hockey) – 1960 (The Video Encyclopedia of the 20th Century) - Primary source footage of the U.S. hockey team defeating the Russian and Czechoslovakian hockey teams to win the gold medal at the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, California.
- The Games at Ancient Olympia, Greece (Schlessinger Media) – Students will learn how the road to professional athletics had its beginning in Olympia. The first Olympiad began with a 200 meter sprint in 776 BC. Over the years, the Olympic games grew from a one day event to a five-day festival.
Click HERE to access the Olympic Winter Games playlist.