Key Strategies for an Epic Win: Using YouTube in Your Classroom!
- Create an account. When you create an account, you can save and organize videos using playlists.
- Preview before you hit play. Always, always, always preview videos before using them in your lessons.
- Download videos for offline viewing. For Curriculum Night, evaluations, and other important presentations always download the video just in case there are network issues.
A Few Advanced Tips:
- Annotate your videos. (ones you upload) Directions.
- Add Captions. Directions
- Edit videos using the YouTube Video Editor. With the editor you can combine multiple videos, add music and transitions, or trim the video to the most important part of the video. Directions
Some Classroom Applications:
- Flip your class using YouTube’s web cam feature. Here’s my test video and directions.
- Create playlists for reviews and tutorials. You don’t have to create everything. Use existing videos from Smithsonian, PBS, Khan Academy, etc.
Grow Your Professional Learning Network:
- You can follow channels just as you
follow colleagues on twitter.
- Explore YouTube channels created just
- YouTube for Teachers
- YouTube for Schools
- YouTube for Education